Re: [Balloon] Design files

Author: Steve Wiseman
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Design files

On Tue Jan 27 21:27 , Peter Clifton sent:

>I thought Altium used a binary database for its designs.. in that case,
>you're probably not getting much benefit of the revision control
>system's compression between revisions - as far as I know, most only
>work well with text.

Yes - but being able to go back in time is a handy thing, even if I do have to
squander storage to manage it. Storage is cheap, recovering from blunders (mine,
or the tools') is expensive, and customers do change their minds...

>Just having re-read.. 1TByte. WTF??

Meh. 1Tbyte is £100. Storage gets cheaper faster than my requirements grow. (I've
not deleted an email since 1991...)

>Granted my design isn't as big as yours, and possibly doesn't track
>_all_ history, but for the power converter logic boards for a wave power
>plant I'm working on only total 1.3G!

Don't make me show you my live_projects directory - my silence on Balloon doesn't
mean I've been slacking _all_ the time.

>Do you ever work with more than one person working on a board layout at
>once? If so.. how? (Is the board modular enough that you could have
>engineers working on different areas, then paste them together?)

No. I could (just about) under Altium - since I swipe bits of past designs from
time to time, but it's a fragile process, and I'd hate to do it often or while
anyone was watching.

>I'm presuming that that having multiple workstations tracking (perahaps
>even making) live changes to two views onto same layout, would be
>pointless - as fun as the idea sounds..

I'm sure that it could be done, but PCB tools are hard enough to drive that it
strikes me as more pain than gain. Keeping modules separate has charm, if the
board needs it.

>Modelsim (don't know it - is it a PSpice-alike?)

No, it's a VHDL / Verilog simulator (with good libraries for FPGA innards). I
think there's a RedHat version. It's far from open, but is beer-free for a useful
version.

>Linux isn't for everyone.. Let me mail you a link to the gEDA windows
>beta build, to give it a play. Personally, I think the schematic editor
>is quite decent.. its mainly the integrated workflow we need to focus
>on.

I'll fire up a new machine and give it another go. Probably ought to not mess
with the server any further :)

>Know that feeling.. my new laptop took a little hacking to make work
>just right.. and I'm using Intel graphics, which has fairly good open
>source drivers. My serious monitor is an HP LP2475w, which I just
>bought. Works fine - but then again, I am tracking the very latest
>driver code available.

Oh, bless. Two 3840x2400 and a 2560x1600 on this machine, which forces me to
nVidia, with all the not-quite-open that that implies. 22Mpixels makes for a
decent size desktop.

Steve

--
Arbury.com Ltd, 2 Durnford Way, Cambridge, CB4 2DP, UK. Reg. 6573238