Re: [Balloon] 2.6.29-rc7 kernel power management

Author: Jonathan McDowell
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] 2.6.29-rc7 kernel power management
On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 07:18:50PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> I've been doing some work on L3 standby power this afternoon, the
> primary upshot of which is that there are now hooks in
> /arch/arm/mach-pxa/balloon3.c for doing things on the way into and out
> of standby. I cribbed most of the code straight from palmz72.c which
> seemed to have the right sort of things in it, so if there's a
> better/more legitimate way to do it, I'm open to ideas.

Is this code in SVN now? I'm currently concentrating on getting the base
balloon3 support into mainline kernels, but I'll have a look if that
ever gets done.

> The same issue arises with the Samosa bus - did parking the bus lines
> ever get in after the grand TCL kernel hacking session? I can't see it
> in the code.

No, this didn't get added so you're not missing anything.

> Thinking about these things and looking at the code indicates to me
> that making the relevant control registers in Balloon 3's programmable
> logic read/write or at least set/reset rather than write-only would
> make life somewhat easier in the kernel, but could introduce
> incompatibilities.

If necessary we can keep local copies of the state and provide accessor
functions, but being able to query the hardware or at least only frob
the bits we need to would be much cleaner.

J.