Re: [Balloon] Emdebian toolchain woes

Author: Chris Jones
To: Neil Williams
CC: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Emdebian toolchain woes
Neil Williams wrote:
> I tested with a lenny debootstrap which I cleaned out the old armel
> toolchain. This sequence worked for my test:
>
> $ sudo apt-get -f install
> $ apt-cross -a armel -i libstdc++6
> $ sudo apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-dev-armel-cross linux-libc-dev-armel-cross libstdc++6-4.3-pic-armel-cross
> $ emsetup -a armel
> $ emsetup -a armel --report
>
> That should complete the task.

Thank you for that - I'll try it if I have further troubles and need to
revisit the toolchain, even if only to keep aptitude happy!

> The above workaround is needed until the packages can be fixed. (AFAICT
> the wrong version of libstdc++6-armel-cross has been included into the
> Lenny repository - one that depends on a later version of
> gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi-base than is actually available in Lenny.
> Using apt-cross, you effectively short-circuit the repository, get the
> correct version of libstdc++6 for armel from Debian Lenny (which has
> the correct dependency data) and then cross it (at which point the
> dependency on the Architecture:all gcc-*-base package is dropped
> anyway).

Such a comprehensive response is very much appreciated - thank you,
Neil. Now I have a better idea of what's going on. Having just moved
from CRT monitors to an LCD panel, I haven't got anything to bang my
head on any more, so it's nice when I don't need to :-)

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights