[Balloon] Balloon software Makefile tweak - spend less time …

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Balloon software Makefile tweak - spend less time waiting
Hi all,

This afternoon I've added (yet) another variable into the Balloon
software makefiles. I recommend setting it in your Makefile.local. It's
called 'MAKEOPTS' and gets appended to appropriate Make command lines in
the kernel and bootldr.

It's intended to be set to '-j <something>' to cause Make to spawn off
multiple jobs at the same time. This isn't always a good idea - for
example, if the jobs are wget downloads - so it has to be used
selectively. I've only put it in the Makefiles where it makes sense and
a useful difference.

It's only really useful on multi-processor machines but can give a good
performance improvement. For example, a clean build of bootldr took 14.3
seconds with '-j 1' (the default setting) and 5.7 seconds with '-j 4' on
a 4-core machine.

It would be nice to extend this to the toolchain build in initrd, but
that looked Hard so I haven't done it. I don't spend as much time
building initrds anyway ;-)

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights