[Yaffs] Small NAND chips becoming extinct

Author: Laurie van Someren
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Small NAND chips becoming extinct
Hello!

Since some manufacturers are ceasing to produce NAND Flash chips with a
page size of 512 Byte, we have had a couple of enquiries recently about
the impact of this on use of YAFFS.

The original version of YAFFS works with chips of 512B page size, but
not larger.

When manufacturers introduced chips with a larger page size we adapted
YAFFS to accommodate them, and the revised version was called YAFFS2.
This version (and its successors) work with larger page sizes, such as
the 2kB- and 4kB-page chips now common.

If you want to create larger 'virtual pages' of 8kB- or 16kB you can do
so and YAFFS2 will work with them (and you will have fewer pages in
total).

YAFFS2 using in-band tags also works with pages sizes of 512B and
greater.

Separately, if you are interested in using YAFFS with Windows CE please
let us know, as we are testing a 'wrapper' to make this easier.

LvS

--
Laurie van Someren    Aleph One Ltd    Old Courthouse    Bottisham
CAMBRIDGE  CB25 9BA  UK   t: +44 (0)1 223 811 679  www.aleph1.co.uk