Re: [Yaffs] Support for UTF-8 filenames?

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Support for UTF-8 filenames?
On Wednesday 08 July 2009 01:43:00 Ross Younger wrote:
> This is just a thought experiment at the moment, but to what extent would
> we expect YAFFS to work with UTF-8 filenames? From what I have looked at of
> the guts, YAFFS is simply treating filenames as NUL-terminated octet
> strings, so it smells like it all ought to Just Work provided the given
> filenames are valid UTF-8 sequences?

That's my understanding too.

From my limited understanding, UTF-8 does not embed NULs like Unicode does.
As such I would expect UTFs to just seem like ASCII strings with odd-ball
characters in it.

YAFFS does use strlen etc in a few places and it seems that strlen will just
count the non-NUL bytes which will be fine. If strlen tries to be clever and
count the number of UTF-8s then that will break.

-- Charles