Re: [Yaffs] "!!!! Allocator out !!!!" problems

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] "!!!! Allocator out !!!!" problems
On Thursday 16 July 2009 06:17:38 Sharanu TURAMARI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using SLC nand 2gb flash using yaffs as fs .
> While trying to experiment with copying I filled the entire flash (used
> multi file copying).
> df -k usage shows 100% ,but whenever I am trying to delete any files, I am
> getting the error like
>
> yaffs tragedy: no more eraased blocks
> !!!!!!!!! Allocator out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is generally caused by problems in the ECC layout or there being problems
with the erasure.

Can you do things like write a file, reboot, then still read the file?

> I feel Garbage collector has done its bit to collect all the dirty pages of
> block and tried to get as many blocks as necessary to copy.
> But after certain case, it has not even got a single block which has dirty
> page ,hence virtually flash is full hence copy should fail.
> But I am not understanding why freeing the space should fail.

When yaffs deletes a file it has to write a record to say that the file is
being deleted. Thus, it needs space to delete a file. However unless
something goes really wrong there should always be enough space held in
reserve to handle these.

> Does yaffs needs atleast two partitions because I am creating single root
> patition for entire flash?

No yaffs does not need two partitions. It does however need at least 2 blocks
free in the partition.