Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2 rw speed overhead compared with raw mtd

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2 rw speed overhead compared with raw mtd
On Thursday 05 November 2009 20:04:27 JiSheng Zhang wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> What's the normal yaffs2 read and write speed overhead compared with raw
> mtd?

There are far to many variables to make an sort of rule of thumb.

> PS:what tools do you test yaffs2 read and write speed and raw mtd? I
> test raw mtd speed with mtd_speedtest.ko in mainline kernel and test
> yaffs2 with "time cp"

I have not tried to do many performance measurements because of the variables.
The only time I've really done any is in testing one file system against
another.

When you do any benchmarking be sure to do operations that reasonably reflect
the typical usage of your device.

Also make sure that your file writes contain real data. If you just read/write
files filled with with a fixed pattern then you will get distorted results on
any file system with compression.

Hope that gives you something to work with.

-- CHarles