Re: [Yaffs] Access to files on a YAFFS2 image

Author: McCash John-GKJN37
To: Charles Manning, yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Access to files on a YAFFS2 image
Charles,
    I'm making some progress on this project. I now have a utility
that appears to dump the yaffs2 filesystem, including the OOB area. I'm
even able to use nandwrite to upload this dump to an emulated flash
device under linux, but when I subsequently mount the device, I see
nothing but a lost+found folder.

    The Android device I'm dumping the filesystem from has kernel
version 2.6.27, and the following YAFFS settings:

CONFIG_YAFFS_FS=y
CONFIG_YAFFS_YAFFS1=y
# CONFIG_YAFFS_9BYTE_TAGS is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DOES_ECC is not set
CONFIG_YAFFS_YAFFS2=y
CONFIG_YAFFS_AUTO_YAFFS2=y
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_LAZY_LOAD is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_WIDE_TNODES is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_ALWAYS_CHECK_CHUNK_ERASED is not set
CONFIG_YAFFS_SHORT_NAMES_IN_RAM=y

The system I'm attempting to mount the image on has kernel version
2.6.28, and the following YAFFS settings:

CONFIG_YAFFS_FS=m
CONFIG_YAFFS_YAFFS1=y
# CONFIG_YAFFS_9BYTE_TAGS is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DOES_ECC is not set
CONFIG_YAFFS_YAFFS2=y
CONFIG_YAFFS_AUTO_YAFFS2=y
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_TAGS_ECC is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_LAZY_LOAD is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_WIDE_TNODES is not set
# CONFIG_YAFFS_ALWAYS_CHECK_CHUNK_ERASED is not set
CONFIG_YAFFS_SHORT_NAMES_IN_RAM=y

Note that the CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_TAGS_ECC option was added between
these versions, and is not set, per the associated configuration
suggestion.

Should this be working? If not, is there some option I can apply to the
mount command that might help? I see from the source that several are
supported, though I haven't found documentation for them. Also, should I
be using the -n option on nandwrite, to skip the ecc information?

        Thanks again
            John