Re: [Yaffs] yaffs and ramdisk

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] yaffs and ramdisk
On Sunday 07 February 2010 02:59:51 Sasha Sirotkin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to understand the relation between yaffs and the ram disk it
> somehow uses. I could not find anything about it in the documentation.

This is really just for Yaffs Direct Interface (the RTOS version of YAFFS).

Support for Linux support for yaffsram was pulled out two or three years ago.

> My new development board uses yaffs for root filesystem. It boots with
> "root=/dev/mtdblock0", however after the boot is finished it appears as
> if / is mounted on /dev/ram0, not /dev/mtdblock0. At the same time, I
> can mount /dev/mtdblock0 on another mount point and it shows the same
> file system as the one which is mounted on /dev/ram0.

If you want to use yaffs on ram under Linux then just use nandsim.

http://www.aleph1.co.uk/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/yaffs2/linux-tests/initnandsim?revision=1.4

But... that's really only useful for yaffs testing.

If you want a ram file system for real use under Linux then use ramfs or
tmpfs.

-- Charles