Re: [Balloon] Help the newbie

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Help the newbie
+++ Charles Manning [2010-05-03 17:02 +1200]:

Sorry for slow response -Bank holiday here yesterday

> I still have not managed to run built code on balloon
>
> make
> make dist
>
> # ***************************************************************
> # ** Your CPLD image is out of date. You need to regenerate it **
> # **      with the XILINX tools. Specify path to these in      **
> # **      XILINX-TOOLS in Makefile.local to automate this      **
> # ***************************************************************
> # ***************************************************************
> # ** Your FPGA image is out of date. You need to regenerate it **
> # **      with the XILINX tools. Specify path to these in      **
> # **      XILINX-TOOLS in Makefile.local to automate this      **
> # ***************************************************************
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/balloon/trunk/vhdl'

I think those warnings are coming because the makefile has changed
rather than because the VHDL has changed so no need to worry.
It issues that when the Xilinx tools aren't installed and the make
rule fires.

> cd ../distro/binaries
>
> utils/bbl --installer
> utils/bbl --kernel
>
> they looked happy.
>
> boot flash
> booting kernel from partition >kernel<

> VFS: Cannot open root device "mtdblock1" or unknown-block(31,1)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> 1f00            4096 mtdblock0 (driver?)
> 1f01         1044480 mtdblock1 (driver?)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(31,1)

Hmm. I wonder what it is you do to keep discovering new ways of
getting stuff that doesn't work.

Are you sure you have't done 'boot' rather than 'boot flash' there?
boot flash shouldn't be trying to mount nand root. boot flash should
work, except for the issue I posted about last week where current
(Debian squeeze) versions of depmop generate 'relative' modules.dep
file which the versionof modprobe in buildroot doesn't understand. The
simple way to work around that is 'build on lenny'. Alternatives are to
munge the depmod file or get depmod into the buildroot image and run
depmod -a at boot time.

The status here is that nor-kernel booting works fine so long as you
build with an old-enough modutils. nand booting is failing with a PAM
error (unless you go back to an earlier kernel). Reason yet to be
determined.

I'm afraid I spent exactly no time on balloon last week as there was a
whole new translation system to build. I expect to be finally
finished with that today and back on this tiresome build-breakage
tomorrow.

Did you try the working binaries I uploaded a while back? I have a
newer set which is definitely good for nor-kernels case. I can upload
those too, but best to wait till tomorrow when I can test and be sure
that what I've uploaded really does work.

Principal hats: iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/