Re: [Balloon] Does "boot flash" work with 2.6.34?

Author: Charles Manning
To: balloon
CC: Wookey
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Does "boot flash" work with 2.6.34?
Thanks Wookey. More questions below...

On Friday 20 August 2010 13:40:57 Wookey wrote:
> +++ Charles Manning [2010-08-20 12:49 +1200]:
> > I'm trying to switch over to a 2.6.34 kernel but am having a problem.. I
> > expect this is pilot error.
> >
> > Here's what I did:
> >
> > Changed KERNELVER to 2.6.34 in Makefile.inc
> > Had to change PCMCIA stuff in .config
> > make
> > make dist
> >
> > utils/bbl --installer
> > utils/bbl --kernel
> >
> > boot> boot flash
> >
> > This appears to do a regular yaffs boot that sufers since it does not
> > find the 2.6.34 modules in yaffs.
> >
> > Has the kernel command line changed?
>
> don't think do.
>
> > I also am still a bit fuzzy as to what bbling installer vs kernel do so I
> > tried
> >
> > utils/bbl --installer
> >
> > boot> boot flash
> >
> > and
> >
> > utils/bbl --kernel
> >
> > boot> boot flash
> >
> > and got the same
>
> utils/bbl --installer puts in the NOR kernel+buildroot initramfs, which is
> what gets booted when you do 'boot flash'
>
> utils/bbl --kernel puts in the NAND kernel, which is what gets booted
> when you do 'boot' (or 'boot kernel' I think).

That's what I thought. Does the one override the other? Do they live in the
same NOR-space?

> If it's not a new checkout and you previously built 2.6.29, then this
> is probably a make bug that is not correctly replacing the kernel
> modules (I've seen that before). If it is a fresh checkout then I
> don't know what's going wrong.

I svnb updated, did the mods for 2.6.34 then rm -rf'ed distro and build, then
make

> > I am trying to work around this by reverting the kernel back to a 2.6.29
> > kernel (which has the modules in yaffs) and using this to copy in the
> > 2.6.34 modules, then loading and booting 2.6.34 kernel.
>
> That should work. It is often most easily done via a USB stick.

Yup that was what I was wanting to do: put the 2.6.34 modules.tgz in usb, cp
into yaffs then unpack.

> I don't have a bb.org tree to hand, but build/kernel/ should have a
> modules.tgz in it which continas the set of modules that should get
> used. Check which version is in there. That's what gets unpacked into
> the buildroot image and put into the yaffs image.
>
> You might like to try out Nickb's new 'make menuconfig' style build
> system - it should be much less annoying for the sort of work you are
> doing (changing config and rebuilding). But it is also rather untested.
> once someone has tested it and found things to be working better then
> we should probably all start using it. I think it's in a branch -
> NickB will be along shortly to provide clues.

If nickb or some other can give directions I'll put my hand in the fire.

Thanks

Charles