Re: [Yaffs] search for help!

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] search for help!
On Thursday 07 October 2010 09:31:10 Andre Renaud wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> >> 1. I already setup the yaffs on linux. And i want to scan a local file (
> >> maybe 5G) to yaffs. Can anyone tell me how to do it?
> >
> > That will not work. yaffs currently has a limit of 2G bytes for a single
> > file.
>
> Can you tell me if there is any chance of this limitation being changed
> in the near future, or where abouts I should begin looking to remove it?
>
> Regards,
> Andre

Yeah, more people are wanting this. I'll try to do something about this next
week.

Would you be happy to help with testing? I don't have a board with any more
than 1G of NAND.

As to what is involved:
The yaffs internal architecture works with "chunks" (typically 2048 bytes) and
can handle files with up to 2^31 or so chunks. Thus, this is not a
fundamentally broken issue.

The limits come in in a few places:
1) Interfaces to outside world.
2) The object header only has 32 bits assigned to file size. This can be
addressed by using some spare bytes.
3) Some trivial changes like expanding the max tnode tree depth.
4) Changing the width of a few variables to 64 bit.

-- CHarles