[Yaffs] How to investigate file corruption in a Yaffs2 files…

Author: Brian Robertson
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] How to investigate file corruption in a Yaffs2 filesystem
We are using yaffs2 successfully in new Ethernet based products and we
will probably need to investigate what happens when files get corrupted.

The file corruption could be due to anything: bad solder joints,
defective batch of NAND chips, SW changes etc etc.

So what we would want to do is read the entire contents of the NAND
without altering it. Then transfer the image to a linux PC and start
analysing the image on the PC.

My question is what tools can be used to do this?

At present we have used dd to grab the image but my guess is that
nanddump is better so we can also get the OOB data. Maybe we also need
to consider JTAG.

What linux based PC tools / books / links could people recommend to help
with this task?

Regards

Brian Robertson.