[Yaffs] Samsung NAND KLM8G4DEDD-A101

+ (text/html)
Author: BigAl.NZ@gmail.com
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Samsung NAND KLM8G4DEDD-A101
Hi folks,

Firstly sorry this is slightly OT, but I hope someone here has experience
in this area.

My phone suffered some water damage and now fails to turnon. I want to get
the data off the internal memory.

So far I have concluded that the data is stored on a chip on the PCB which
is a Samsung moviNAND chip, KLM8G4DEDD-A101. It is attached to the PCB via
a 169 FBGA package.

The closest I could find to a datasheet is :
http://www.docin.com/p-166979021.html and;

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/products/fusionmemory/Products_MoviNAND.html

This chip appears to have a controller on board which I am hoping will make
my life easier in that I wont have to deal with wear levelling since if I
can interface with the controller it takes care of the wear levelling for
me?

The controller is compliant with the JEDEC MMC 4.3 protocol standard, and
looking at the pinouts on the bottom of the chip:

It shows a bunch of data lines (DAT0-7) , some voltage lines for the
controller and the chip. (Vcc, Vccq ?)

I am wondering if I can connect the DAT0-3 lines, CLK, and CMD lines to a
SD card reader which has similar pinouts
(http://pinouts.ru/Memory/sdcard_pinout.shtml) and read the data off to a
bin file which I can then use the usual tools on?

If not what sort of hardware would I need to read the data off the chip,
and would it be at a physical level or would I get to see the file system?
(Which is some samsung compliant FAT32 FS).

Anyone done anything similar?

Cheers in advance

-Al