Re: [Yaffs] Checkpoint block allocation

+ (text/html)
Author: Charles Manning
To: guillaume.belleteste
CC: YAFFS ML
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Checkpoint block allocation
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:46 AM, <
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After some reflexion, I think this behavior is normal since it is use to
> increase the speed up of yaffs partition. Each new Checkpoint is write to
> the first next block available from the beginning of the file system,
> breaking a little bit the wear-leveling strategy.
>
> My test perform a lot of write leading to a lot of new checkpoint write to
> the same blocks located at the beginning of file system
>
> Regards,
> Guillaume

Hello

The checkpoint is always written starting in the first available blocks
that can be found. This can indeed cause extra wear on these blocks if the
checkpoint is written often.

The reason behind doing this was two-fold:
1) Starting at the first available erased block means the checkpoint is
always written sequentially. There might be other data blocks in between,
but we know we only have to proceed sequentially when searching for
checkpoint data. This simplies and speeds the checkpoint reading.
2) Having the checkpoint blocks near the beginning means we search less
blocks to find them. Again that gives speed.

I am thinking through what can be done to move the checkpoint blocks around
without too much compromise.

In the mean time, it is worth looking at two things:
1) How often are you writing checkpoints? If you're doing it often then
why? There is generally little point in writing checkpoints often.

2) Consider disabling checkpoints all together. Since the introduction of
block summaries, there is less benefit in using checkpoints. Checkpoints do
give a faster boot than summaries, but not by much.

See http://www.aleph1.co.uk/lurker/message/20110515.215942.a1e065e4.en.html

All systems are different, so YMMV.

Regards

Charles