Re: [Yaffs] Using yaffs1 with 2kb NAND page

Author: Bettega Stefano
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Using yaffs1 with 2kb NAND page
Hello Charles,

> I would strongly recommend switching to Yaffs2 because that is likely to

perform better. The Yaffs2 codebase still supports the Yaffs1 mode of operation
if you want to try that.

We are using an old yaffs port (can't be sure on real codebase neither GIT
revision, but we are using it since 6 years), surely it contains code for
yaffs2, but to develop a true yaffs2 application we should provide a wider
set of function, deal with ECC correction and tags in another way... I know
there is a lot of sample code to look around to have an idea, but as we use
YDI and actual code works, somebody thought that it would be great to have
only the low level driver changed, and nothing more.

> You're going to hate this, but it depends.... What flah part are you using?

Some can work with yaffs1 mode and some not.

The NAND we planned to use is a Micron MT29F1G08ABAEAWP, that is the suggested
replacement for the previous Micron (formerly Numonix and formerly ST) NAND512W3A2DN6.
It's a 1Gb NAND with 8x bus, for a grand total of 64MB of storage.

> If the flash supports it (eg. partial page writing) then you can just treat

2k pages like 4x512-byte pages.

Not sure about it, I'll have to dig a little more in the (not so clear) datasheet..

> If you give me a part number I can give you some further indications.

It would be great!

> Regards
> Charles

Thanks for your support. Unfortunately today office was closed, so I read
your message only at home.
Let me know your opinion.

For now, best regards and Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,
Stefano

---