[Yaffs-archive] Re: About the bootloader

Author: Nick Bane
To: Edward J. Lee, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: About the bootloader
> Now here's the question:
> I'm trying to make it bootable with my NAND flash chip,
> I read the documentation pages, and I'm totally lost.
> I cant understand almost anything about booting.
>
> Managed to get the up-to-date mtd cvs source codes and the
> yaffs stuff, and can mount my NAND device by /dev/mtdblockx.
> I can also boot by storing raw boot data in the chip, but this won't do.

The problem is?

> I need some help about booting.
>
> Could anybody help me with providing me the steps?

You need to build a yaffs image of the root fs. You do that by using the
utility mkyaffsimage on a source tree. This builds a stream of page+oob
records that can be pumped into a nand partition.

You can either modify a boot loader to do this (my choice as I don't want to
support any other root device) or use the utility mkyaffs to format and
upload the image created by mkyaffsimage from a running linux kernel - then
all you need to do is alter the root=/dev/mtdblockX kernel command line
parameter to reflect the new partition to use as rootfs.

If you want more help, please indicate a bit more specifically what problems
you are having.

Nick Bane

> Ed.

from the list by