RE: [Balloon] Balloon still playing up

Author: Peter Clifton
To: balloon
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Balloon still playing up
On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 22:30 +0100, David Bisset wrote:
> To check the CPLD version
> cat /proc/balloon_board
> This should show 0x0a or greater.

Fraid I can't, since the Balloon currently doesn't do more than get into
its bootloader.

Linux was a short lived Fluke - the bootloader can't see the NAND chips
at the moment.

> Although I can't be certain (since I'm not sure which Bootloader you
> were using) the reseting every 500mS or so is likely to be a symptom of
> an under performing power supply. Does your PSU have a current limit
> setting? If so
> you should set it to 500mA to be on the safe side. Alternatively the PSU
> may not be good enough to handle the peak currents without voltage dips,
> even if it claims a higher continuous rating.

Using a PSU I borrowed from Wookey, and I presume that should be Ok. It
doesn't state its max current output on the supply.

Since it boots Ok with a different boot loader, is it OK to presume that
the powersupply is good?

> Assuming you have a standard Guralp build, then you have a CF card slot
> and a backplane connector. Do you have a card in the CF slot or anything
> connected to the backplane? (If you don't have standard Guralp build
> then please advise what is fitted, in particular if you have the 3v3
> regulator on board i.e. two MAX604's rather than one).

Standard build AFAIK, didn't have a CF card in when it played up. I did
have a CF card in at one point whilst it was working, but owing to me
not knowing the root password of the disto (rootme), I didn't get to see
if it would mount ok.

There are two MAX604s on the board next ot the USB Connectors.

> Good Luck
>
> David Bisset
> iTechnic Ltd.

Thanks - looks like I may need it!