RE: [Balloon] Re: Next Balloon

Author: Nick Bane
To: david, Balloon@Balloonboard.Org
CC: Nick Bane
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Re: Next Balloon
> It's possible that the PXA27X is a step too far. Has Linux ported to it
> yet?
> Are all the device drivers available? (Nick?)

A brief look around has yielded the following links for arm-linux ports:
http://ftp.kelp.or.kr/pub/arm-linux/people/xscale/mainstone/04-28-2004/
This may or may not support all the devices of course but anything on the Mainstone dev board is likely to be explored.

Intel has stated that it will supply linux (power management at least) board support packages. See this list for comments on running linux on the Intel developer Mainstone board. http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=43&message.id=474

Montavista's announcement http://www.mvista.com/news/2003/bulverde.html means that there is support though GPL issues might possibly exist.

There seems to be generic support in 2.6.7 but I doubt that all devices are catered for. Its reassuring to see a file arch/arm/mach-pxa/pxa27x.c

See Nico Pitre's comments on toolchain and compatability issues with 27x http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-July/023293.html

Nico is also actively working on the kernel - see http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0405.3/1471.html for pcmcia support in 2.6.7-rc2 in May for example.

Nico is also helping with other generic drivers - see http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-April/021335.html