Re: [Balloon] Re: Next Balloon

Author: Steve Wiseman
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: Next Balloon
26/07/2004 02:45:28, Carl Worth <> wrote:

>Just a couple of days ago at OLS, Tim Riker told me that after

recent
>negotiations between certain large companies, it was decided

that the SD
>specification and an open source driver would be made

available.

This is splendid news, and means I can stop worrying at all about
supporting memory stick (spit).

A Balloon-ish question - Balloon 2.x always had the smartmedia
socket mounted directly on the board. This was convenient for
developers, and was sort-of sane, since the SM cards weren't hot-
swappable, However, it did use up a fair amount of otherwise
useful board real estate, and would have been annoying for
anyone wanting to poke the card through a hole in their product.
The MMC / SD / SDIO interface will be smaller and hot-pluggable.
It's also possible that (in SDIO mode) it'll have some expansion
card or other in it, rather than a memory card.
Would people prefer it
a) mounted on the board, much like the SM card was
b) mounted on a string, with just a connector to the Balloon board
c) both?

Steve