[Yaffs] [Yaffs-archive] Re: MTD settings for yaffs ?

Author: Thomas Gleixner
To: J.D. Bakker, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] [Yaffs-archive] Re: MTD settings for yaffs ?
On Thursday 31 July 2003 20:55, J.D. Bakker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished an MTD driver for a 1Gb Toshiba NAND Flash on a
> LART expansion board. I want to use yaffs on the entire NAND, and was
> wondering about the proper setting of some MTD options
>
> 1) Should my driver set this->eccmode to NAND_ECC_NONE or
> NAND_ECC_SOFT ? I know yaffs does its own ECC, but MTD is quite ..
> verbose in discouraging NAND_ECC_NONE.

Set it to ECC_SOFT, as this switch tells the generic nand driver, which method
of ECC to use. YAFFS supports the built in ECC generator in nand.c. There is
some config switch in YAFFS, which enables this. YAFFS then just tells the
nand driver, where in OOB to put / get ECC bytes.
This is the preferred way.

> 2) In a similar vein, should CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE be set ?

I think YAFFS can do it's own verify, but there should be a option to use the
nand built in, as it will be faster to do so. Charles ???

--
Thomas