RE: [Balloon] Access Compact 2

Author: Nick Bane
To: ura_urkel, balloon
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Access Compact 2
> /dev/sm     /usr/local --> This is the Smart Media Mount in

/dev/sm is a softlink to /dev/mtdblock/2 which is the smartmedia socket. It has nothing to do with CF I fear.

Compact Flash is accessed via pcmcia support. For this you need the full build of a balloon board. I am unclear which one you have. Also, the CF slot is disabled in the default boot. To enable the CF socket (and it must have been built with the correct hardware) you must boot with a modified bootldr parameter to indicate that the socket is usable.

At the bootldr prompt, type <set build="aleph1"> and then do a <params save> to store the setting for future use. Then boot as normal. cat /proc/balloon_board should indicate that it is considered and Aleph1 build.

Next, ipkg install task-pcmcia-<kernel version> and start card services with /etc/init.d/pcmcia start. You will probably need ide-modules-<kernel-version> too. If you have a CF ethernet card you probably also want ipkg install net-modules-<kernel-version>.

When you insert a CF card it should become registered by card services and become mounted as a hard disk in /dev. The parameters may need fiddling with in /etc/pcmcia/ide.opts to get this right due to partition detection.

You can then mount -t vfat /dev/<whatever> to any mountpoint eg /dev/hda.

Enjoy.

Note that there is a long standing bug (common to iPaqs et al) to do with CF ide drives during a suspend/resume giving a stream of unhandled interrupts. It is best to umount and remove the card before suspending.

> Balloon is a very interesting device :-P
> Thanks for all!!
> One friend from Spain!!
> Ura

Glad you like it.