[Balloon] Re: Why NAND and not NOR Flashes

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: Why NAND and not NOR Flashes
+++ Marc Mulcahy [04-09-17 08:06 -0600]:
> I was told by someone who shall remain nameless ;) that Linux kernel support
> for NOR flash was more stable than its support for NAND flash.

It's more stable in the sense that it's more mature, but so far as I know
JFFS2 is pretty stable on nand these days (I'm using on a project right now
and so far as I can tell the FS is stable)

> Is this because YAFFS isn't included in stock kernels?

We are working on doing that at long last, for 2.6 kernels as the MTD stuff
is in sync for YAFFS and the kernel tree.

> Any update as to the
> differences between jffs2 (now with NAND support) and YAFFS would be
> helpful.

It would - any volunteers to write it :-)

> Also, what are the licensing terms for YAFFS? The Aleph1 site
> seems to indicate that there are runtime licensing requirements if it's
> shipped with a device, which isn't the case with JFFS2 since it's GPL.

You misunderstand. YAFFS is GPL. It(strictly just the core of it)'s just
_also_ available with a GPL-waiver for people who need to use it somewhere
where the GPL would be a problem (RTOSes/WinCE/proprietary embedded stuff).

If using it with Linux just treat it like everything else. (The YAFFS
licensing is equivalent to the Sleepcat and MySQL licencing models)

> If
> we ship a product based on embedded Linux, which runs proprietary software
> on top, can we still use YAFFS without paying license feeds?

Yes. YAFFS changes nothing in this regard.