RE: [Balloon] Network card for the Compact Flash socket.

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Nick Bane', 'glenv', balloon
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Network card for the Compact Flash socket.
Also the Pretec card sold by Expansys. (hostap driver) This also has a
decent wireless range, unlike DCF-660W.

I've so far failed to get a Symbol 24 card to work (although I know
someone who has one working in a Zaurus) and have had difficulties with
Linksys WCF12 but these may well be my fault rather than a fundamental
problem.

However do take note of Wookey's comments re power supply. The onboard
3v3 is not enough for transmit on many cards. Often all you will see is
spurious dropout on the LAN card, at worst a red light and a rebooting
Balloon card.

You may want to consider an external 3v3. Balloon 2.06 fixed this but
sadly never made it to production.

For temporary connection I find usbnet works ok (much better on 2.4.25)
and works "out of the box" from the Husaberg distribution. However when
I originally set this up (RH7) I had to do quite a bit of fiddling with
the desktop linux box to make it work smoothly with hotplug.