[Balloon] Fw: Re: Makefile issues fbvncmon

Author: Wookey
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Fw: Re: Makefile issues fbvncmon
+++ Nick Bane [05-01-06 23:38 -0000]:
> > I am trying to get the fbvncmon to compile. The executable shows
> > a nice TUX
> > screen, but I want to modify the program. In compiling it, I get a lot of
> > dependency errors. When I looked at the Makefile, I noticed that
> > it relies on
> > 4 include paths:
> > ZAURUS_ZLIB_INC,
> > ZAURUS_JPEG_INC,
> > ZAURUS_ZLIB_LIBS, and
> > ZAURUS_JPEG_LIBS.
> > Can you please tell me where these go to?
> You need to point these at the common header files and arm-linux libraries. I do native compilation using debian arm-linux. so i just do an apt-get install libz-dev or something similar. I guess you could grab the arm-linux debs and manually make a set of files to include.
>
> Any other clues Wookey?

The debian-way to cross compile is install dpkg-cross,then download the
library and -dev library packages (in this case zlib1g, zlib1g-dev, libjpeg62
and libjpeg62-dev ) then do
dpkg-cross --arch arm --install zlib1g_1.2.2-4_arm.deb
dpkg-cross -a arm -i zlib1g-dev_1.2.2-4_arm.deb
dpkg-cross -a arm -i libjpeg62_6b-9_arm.deb
dpkg-cross -a arm -i libjpeg62-dev_6b-9_arm.deb

that will install your libraries. You can set /etc/dpkg/cross-compile to
always use arm as the default and you can change the path
libraries get installed to. This method does whinge about dependencies but
just ignore that; the emdebian tools that let you just do cross-get <foo> to
automate the above doesn't quite work right yet, unfortunately because this
will all be a lot easier when it does.

This defaults to installing to /usr/arm-linux/lib, which is the right answer
for emdebian-produced cross-compilers, but I don't know where
crosstool-produced compilers expect you to install target libraries.

However I think glen is using Suse Linux. I'm not aware of any special tools
to make this stuff easy on that platform. I expect 'copy the arm headers and
library files into the right place manaually' is the order of the day there
:-( (you can fish them out of the above debs very easily with mc, and
possibly with other tools)

So you need all the .h and .a files from the above packages. You can get
arm versions of those packages from packages.debian.org. (but they
aren't compiled for softfloat). I think you need to build your own if you
want to use softfloat throughout. In which case you might want to take a
loot at the openembedded framework. There is a bit of a learning curve
involved but it will build your entire world from sources pulled off the net
as automagically as is possible. (including the toolchain if necessary)

----- End forwarded message -----