[Balloon] Re: Single-bit error when reading from CF memory c…

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: Single-bit error when reading from CF memory card
+++ Paul Fidler [05-01-19 19:04 +0000]:

> I just thought I'd update the list with the latest developments. After
> sending some scanned pictures to Steve and Wookey, they both spotted a
> blob of solder between the tracks going to D10 and NIOCS16.

> After a quick vist to Steve's house on Saturday everything is now working
> and I now have a wireless card happily talking to a wireless access
> point.

wahey! Well done. Been a bit of a struggle that. Which kernel and packages
did you end up using? If there were any ifs and buts then puttin them on the
wiki would be useful.

> If anybody wants to see the offending blob of solder that caused all the
> problems, there are some pictures at http://www-civ.eng.cam.ac.uk/brg/pics/
> (which I'll try and leave up for a while).

And (as I said to Paul in the pub on Friday (samll place, Cambridge)) he was
unfortunate to have one of the first batch of balloons, made before we had
XJTAG digital done on the boards, which is designed to spot exactly this
kind of manaufacturing fault - shorts, dry joints, duff silicon (anything
that can be tested with static logic).

On any current production this would have been noticed at test-time and
saved a lot of faffing about.