Re: [Yaffs] About phsyical NAND FLASH cloning

Author: Brad Beveridge
To: Edward J. Lee(이장원)
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] About phsyical NAND FLASH cloning

Edward J. Lee(이장원) wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm using yaffs on a SAMSUNG 16MB flash chip.
>
>I've just heard that there is a device that can 'mass produce'
>programmed NAND chips, and just needs a 'bin' file.
>
>The machine has abilities to
>- write OOB data (which is included in the bin file),
>- check and skip bad blocks
>
>I guess it will work just fine for the parts that are written
>sequentially in raw binary, but I'm not sure about the yaffs part.
>So my question is :
>'can a binary image of yaffs be extracted, and is it able to be dumped
>on a different NAND chip (same model, of course), just by writing the
>bin contents
>sequentially (skipping bad blocks)?'
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>Regards,
>Ed

Yes. Yaffs doesn't care about block order. You could place blocks from
one nand chip running yaffs, to another chip (as long as the page &
block sizes are the same) in any order that you like, and Yaffs will
scan and run fine. The only exception to this is that block 0 should not
be used, because for each yaffs partition block zero is reserved.

Brad