Re: [Yaffs] Re: Using yaffs images to program NAND flash YAF…

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Re: Using yaffs images to program NAND flash YAFFS partitions
On Thursday 24 February 2005 01:17, Wookey wrote:
> +++ ÀÌÀå¿ø [05-02-23 16:28 +0900]:
> > Hi,
> > I've learned before that when using a YAFFS image (made by mkyaffsimage)
> > and dumping it on a NAND device, the first block of the YAFFS partition
> > should be not written, as the first block is reserved for YAFFS.
> > But in that case, what should I do if the first block of the partition is
> > to be marked as bad?
>
> If that is the case then you have to consider the whole device bad. My
> understanding is that the first block is supposed to be guaranteed working.

That is true for the first block of the **whole** NAND - not necessarily for
the first block of a **partition** if the partition is not at the beginning
of NAND. The manufacturers guarantee that the first block in NAND is good.

Regardless, YAFFS does not care.

> In fact it is only 'reserved' in the sense that we use 0 to mean something
> else so block 0 is not used for real data. This means that it will probably
> work fine even if block 0 is duff.
>
> I think that's right, and hasn't changed for YAFFS2. (charles?).

THis has not been changed in YAFFS2.

-- Charles