Re: Fwd: [Balloon] Re: debuggers

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Balloon] Re: debuggers
+++ Glen VanMilligan [05-03-03 14:46 -0600]:
> Can you comment on what pieces I need to use to do remote debugging with gdb
> from my machine?

I have done it once (to a netbook, rather than a balloon) but I've forgotten
the runes. Read the gdb help/man page/google is all I can suggest right now
(I'm going on holiday in a few minutes).

If you have a working network connection to the balloon then using gdb over
that is simple. Serial is probably a bit more fiddly.

> I downloaded the gdb from another arm site, but loading it along with the
> libncurses5 wouldn't work, so I removed (ipkg remove) them and corrupted my
> balloon board root filesystem. (Lets not do that again.)

What sort of 'wouldn't work'? The balloon filesystem is based on familiar
v0.7 so a gdb version from familiar.handhelds.org might be a good bet if the
debian one doesn't want to play.

> Do you have a copy of the gdb that works on the balloon board through the
> console?

Not to hand. no. Sorry. I can take a look at this when I get back. In the
meantime can anyone else point glen in the right direction?