RE: [Yaffs] Re: yaffs2 status

Author: Nick Bane
To: Sergei Sharonov, yaffs
Subject: RE: [Yaffs] Re: yaffs2 status
> Hi,
>
> > For best mount-time splitting your flash into more than one partition is
> > often smart so you can boot from a small partition and give
> user feedback
> > whilst mounting a larger data partition. Obviously this doesn't suit all
> > applications.
>
> Can anybody post any reference numbers? For example it takes me 20+
> minutes to mount 256 MByte NAND partion with a 200 MByte file on it
> when using jffs2.
> Any idea what I may gain by moving to yaffs2?

These results are using yaffs1.
I expect the process to be faster using yaffs2 due to the faster interface and smaller number of headers to scan.
We have 128MByte nand chips fairly full and they don't take forever to scan.
This is anecdotal but my impression is of the order of 10 secs.
The poor boot time scaling of jffs2 and large amounts or ram used were prime reasons why we sponsored the yaffs effort.
We are very pleased with the results.

I just asked one of the testers and he says that the mounting pause during boot up is about 8 secs with 77MB used.

Nick Bane