[Yaffs] Re: yaffs2 status

Author: Sergei Sharonov
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Re: yaffs2 status
Hi,
> > Can anybody post any reference numbers? For example it takes me 20+
> > minutes to mount 256 MByte NAND partion with a 200 MByte file on it
> > when using jffs2...................
> These results are using yaffs1.
> I expect the process to be faster using yaffs2 due to the faster interface
> and smaller number of headers to scan.
> We have 128MByte nand chips fairly full and they don't take forever to scan.
> This is anecdotal but my impression is of the order of 10 secs.
> The poor boot time scaling of jffs2 and large amounts or ram used were
> prime reasons why we sponsored the
> yaffs effort.............
> I just asked one of the testers and he says that the mounting pause during
> boot up is about 8 secs with 77MB used.

Ok, I could not get yaffs2 to work ;-( but yaffs1 *preliminary* seems to be
working fine. With 128 MByte NAND chip and 100 MByte worth of files written and
fsynced (!) in 1 kB chunks mount time 18.2 s. And I can access files immediately
after mount returns. Read throughput over Ethernet/samba is about 1 MByte/s,
cp to /dev/null is at 1.27 MByte/s. Writes are quite slow. Overall it seems to
be a huge speed improvement over jffs2.

Sergei Sharonov