Re: [Balloon] Balloon 3 Samtec pinout - first proposal

Author: Steve Wiseman
To: balloon@balloonboard.org
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Balloon 3 Samtec pinout - first proposal
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:43:55 +0100, Chris Jones <>
wrote:

> OK, I've now been through and filled almost every pin on the Samtec
> connector for Balloon 3. You can see it at
>
> http://www.martin-jones.com/balloon/samtec-pinout.pdf

Cheers!

> The changes from Balloon 2 are:
> - VDD_3V is now VDD_IO (still a 3.3V supply)
> - VDD_5V is now VDD_RAW (which is 'rough' 5V)

Well, sort of. If you feed 5V in, it'll be 5V... If you strap it to a
lithium cell, it won't be.
Bear in mind that these pins could as easily be used to feed power into
the balloon, as to feed power from the Balloon to the other board -
depends if you see the board as a backplane or an expansion card, really.

We don't need nSDCAS<0..3> (pins 1, 3, 5, 7)
They make no sense on the backplane. (rummage. They should be DQM<0..3>)

> - MBREQ/DREQ<0> and MBGNT/DVAL<0> are present on the Samtec so
> motherboard devices can do bus mastering and DMA

I guess I ought to pull these to a safe state on Balloon :)

Steve