RE: [Balloon] Balloon 3 Samtec pinout - first proposal

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Steve Wiseman', balloon
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Balloon 3 Samtec pinout - first proposal
>> The changes from Balloon 2 are:
>> - VDD_3V is now VDD_IO (still a 3.3V supply)
>> - VDD_5V is now VDD_RAW (which is 'rough' 5V)

>Well, sort of. If you feed 5V in, it'll be 5V... If you strap it to a

lithium cell, it won't be.
>Bear in mind that these pins could as easily be used to feed power into
>the balloon, as to feed power from the Balloon to the other board -
>depends if you see the board as a backplane or an expansion card, really.

From this I assume that the New Balloon generates 5v (for USB etc) on-board?
If not then this probably ought to be 5ish.
I certainly power the Balloon via the Samtec and not the other way round. So
I would be feeding 5vish into these pins.

Can we clarify the function of the following signals:

RUN_NAND - Do we need it?

NAND_RNB - Originally internal to Balloon2, therefore should just revert to
GPIO.

SAMOSA_ABSENT - What does it mean, a SAMOSA device is plugged in, or is
powered and working? Why do we need it since the SAMOSA bus isn't on the
backplane (and doesn't need to be).

NSLEEP - This used to be a very hardware signal that shut off the 5v
switcher, it is now connected to GPIO so cannot fulfil its original
function. Should this become GPIO or is there a real "TURN IT ALL OFF"
signal that this should be connected to. (Having said this I've never used
it).

>Steve

Keep up the good work.

Cheers