[Balloon] Re: L3 Jflash/Bootloader

Author: Wookey
To: Colin Tuckley
CC: nick, balloon, david
Subject: [Balloon] Re: L3 Jflash/Bootloader
+++ Colin Tuckley [06-02-20 11:21 +0000]:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
> I think the basic problem that Wookey is worried about is that the balloon 2
> version of bootldr currently will not build/work with a modern version of
> gcc.

That is merely a side-effect of its general nastiness :-)

But as has been observed, changing has a number of costs which are probably
greater than the costs of persevering, certainly for balloon3-bringup.

I don't understand Nick's feeling that TCL's investment in automation
_requires_ bootldr. Surely the changes required in that infrastructure to
use another bootloader are trivial? i.e. the text that gets sent by said
infrastructure for 'load kernel', 'load rootfs', 'reset', and 'load
bootloader' might change slightly, but perhaps I am missing something?

If necessary to make absolutely no changes to the existing infrastrucutre
for some reason, it should be very easy to modify a new bootloader to accept
the existing commands as aliases.

On the other hand I agree entirely that adding YAFFS write support and
<otherstuff we'd like> to any new bootloader is a significant amount of
work, and I should put effort where mouth is if I actually want to try
something else :-)