Re: [Balloon] Re: kernels

Author: Chris Jones
To: Wookey
CC: Nick Bane, Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: kernels
Wookey wrote:
> So on a 2.052 board one can have samosa simply by wiring up to the pads of
> the Smartmedia socket? So in fact it should be fine to leave samosa compiled
> in by default? If that is true we need to find out why the kernels we have
> been building don't appear to boot if samosa is configured. Are there
> corresponding CPLD changes? I had been under the mistaken impression that
> samosa implied hardware changes.

Yes, you can indeed implement an 8-bit Samosa bus by soldering lots of
little bits of wire to the SmartMedia pads on a 2.052 board. The only
changes in the CPLD (that I can remember at the moment) are an update to
allow it access both 8- and 16-bit NAND Flash. That really shouldn't
affect booting.

A thought occurs: Samosa-aware software tends to assume that if
SM_ABSENT is asserted (ie, there's no SmartMedia card in the slot) it's
safe to do Samosa-type things. I can't quite see why the boot loader has
anything to do with Samosa, though, since no-one's ever built any Samosa
peripherals which are useful before the Kernel's booted - Nick?

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights