Re: [Balloon] Re: kernels

Author: Nick Bane
To: Wookey
CC: Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: kernels

>>This final version. Will it contain (suitably config managed) the samosa
>>stuff? I would hope so as its very handy for balloon3 prototyping. If
>>anyone wants to rip off the SM socket they have a samosa bus so it is
>>not entirely a forked board.
>

> We haven't been taking code out, so it's still there. Not currently tested.

Ok thanks.

> So on a 2.052 board one can have samosa simply by wiring up to the pads of
> the Smartmedia socket? So in fact it should be fine to leave samosa compiled
> in by default? If that is true we need to find out why the kernels we have
> been building don't appear to boot if samosa is configured. Are there
> corresponding CPLD changes? I had been under the mistaken impression that
> samosa implied hardware changes.

There are some hardware changes with necessary CPLD changes due to new
handshake lines and UDC control lines (connect/disconnect) but I think
samosa per se is not affected. I have a niggle about a subtle
interaction that may be a problem but this may well be realted to boards
with a SM card inserted being mis-identified.

>>>Indeed. And we appear to be making some progress on this front. Good stuff
>>>colin.
>

>>Thats all well and good so long at there is UDC support. If there isn't
>>for sa1110 then TCL cannot use 2.6 in balloon2.
>

> 'Progress' does not imply 'finished'. Obviously broken USB is something that
> must be fixed, but it is not a prerequisite to getting our various houses in
> order and starting pushing up to mainline. Waiting till everything is
> finished is the classic reason why one gets left behind with a fork. We can
> work on both these things in parallel.

Agreed entirely. My point was that although we have had 2.6.x running
for some time - I have published that and is readily available - what
was stopping TCL adopting it was the broken UDC support.

> [re-directed to list due to generally useful info]
>
> Wookey

Nick