Re: [Balloon] Re: kernels

Author: Nick Bane
To: Colin Tuckley
CC: Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: kernels
Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>

>>A thought occurs: Samosa-aware software tends to assume that if
>>SM_ABSENT is asserted (ie, there's no SmartMedia card in the slot) it's
>>safe to do Samosa-type things. I can't quite see why the boot loader has
>>anything to do with Samosa, though, since no-one's ever built any Samosa
>>peripherals which are useful before the Kernel's booted - Nick?
>

> The latest (3.6) bootldr code has Samosa/Minipug stuff in it, presumably
> Nick is using the Framebuffer.

Not quite.

Under bootldr I have created an option to write on the displays in text
mode. Its actually a bit ropey - more of a technology demonstrator
really. Whether you want it included in the "offical" bootldr is up to you.

Incidentally, under linux I have crafted a port of gdk onto minipug as
an alternative backend using the now unmaintained (and broken) linux-fb
backed as a template and copying a memory image to the minipug kernel
device driver. That was quite exciting.

Nick