RE: [Balloon] remote resetting

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Wookey', 'Balloon'
Subject: RE: [Balloon] remote resetting
Although I've never tried this it is in theory possible to reset the Balloon
2 from software.

It requires an update to the CPLD but there is a bit allocated in the CPLD
reset register to control the EXT_RESET line out of the CPLD, it just isn't
connected in the current CPLD version.

The EXT_RESET line triggers the transistor that straddles the reset button
so activating this is equivalent to pressing the reset button.

It would be relatively easy to provide a user side driver for this (via
/proc like the suspend interface?).

As for the JTAG dongle, no we don't use all the bits but different dongles
use different bit sets however there are some common spare ones so a daisy
chain board would be possible.

The new JTAG dongle which is intended for L3 could easily have this added as
the RES_BUTTON signal comes out on the JTAG FFC.

David.