RE: [Balloon] Re: Bugzilla set up

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Wookey', 'Chris Jones'
CC: 'Balloon'
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Re: Bugzilla set up
OK I've taken a look at this and have the following suggestion...

a) Boards and software "chunks" need to be products.
    Boards so that we can then use components for the various parts to
narrow the bugs down.
    Software chunks so we can do likewise.
    (e.g. bootldr needs to exist as a software product because a) it's
common to both L2/L3.... and it will have component parts (e.g.
command line, NAND, etc)).

    I can identify the following software "products" followed by
components:
    Bootldr,
        Commands
        NAND
        YAFFS
        Configuration
    Bflash
        Balloon2
        Balloon3
        FPGA/CPLD
        Command Line
        JTAG Interface
        Other Devices
        NOR Device Interface
        IO Interface
    Kernel
        {Others are better placed than me to decide here}

    Root tree (could be sub divided? Thoughts...)

    Base Modules (PCMCIA, USB Ethernet, etc)

    VHDL for CPLD/FPGA
        CPLD
        FPGA
        Wishbone Interface
        Module Extensions
        PCMCIA
        NAND
        SAMOSA

    Tool Chain
        {Others are better placed than me to decide here}

    Web Site
        (Balloon Board)
        Husaberg

    XJTAG

b) On the assumption that we can have different version styles per product
(if not then we need to agree a common version style)

The version numbers for hardware are accumulative:
    0v1  refers to the PCB revision
    0v12 refers to the fit level on the PCB.
    0v12P2 refers to a particular build which then also includes a mod
level and possibly an initial software level and a test level (eg its     been
tested with a particular revision of the XJTAG code).

For VHDL each released image update contains its own version number based on
the Balloon 3 core module (common to both CPLD and FPGA versions) with the
following format:

    Top Nibble (0xf000) 0x4 => FPGA 0x8 => CPLD
               (0x0f00) 0xf => Pre release (Debug or experimental
version)
                (0x00f0) Major version (From Wrapper)
      Bottom Nibble (0x000f) Minor Version (From Balloon 3 Module).

    This just need to be held as major and minor versions.

Software versions are likely to be out of our direct control and versioning
releases seems pointless.

Let me know your thoughts.

David