[Balloon] Re: Thumb?

Author: Wookey
To: Steve Wiseman
CC: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: Thumb?
On 2006-11-13 16:41 -0000, Steve Wiseman wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:23:24 +0000, Wookey <> wrote:
>
> >The forthcoming EABI (arm-linux-gnueabi or armel in debian) allows
> >thumb interworking at the function granulatity level (but currently
> >only on arm v4t or later (i.e. not including strongarm (v4)). We
> >intend to fix up the debian toolchain so that this works on v4 as
> >well, but that decision is not cast in stone (and the toolchain work
> >still needs doing).
>
> Err, this seems inconsistent. how will toolchain cunning let Thumb code
> run on a non-t version of the core?
> Or will it just interwork in that thumb stuff is banned?

Sorry - yes I wasn't very clear. What I meant to say was that the same
code can run on v4 and later processors and still allow interworking
on ones that support it. With the existing eabi toolchain the code
in it which allows interworking uses instructions not supported on v4,
so every single eabi program won't work on v4 processors. See
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort for the full sordid gen.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/