[Balloon] Re: JTAG hassles

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: JTAG hassles
On 2006-11-13 16:48 -0000, Steve Wiseman wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:50:38 +0000, Wookey <> wrote:
>
> >>So, fundamentally I have two significant problems:
> >>
> >>1) the lart dongle works on xios for bootldr, but neither of the CPLD
> >>ones do, on either of the parallel ports, so I can't bringup a board
> >>on that box - I have to get my laptop out. Any clues as to why this
> >>might be would be appreciated.
>
> Have you stuck a 'scope on it?

No. Our scope blew up :-( clearly a PSU problem. It is now in bits but
I don't know how to fix it. Fancy a tektronics-fettling session?

> Running LPT ports down cables longer than, wild guess, a foot, is enough
> to make me worry about termination issues.
> Any extension cable on the port is brave - are you running longer cables
> fro the desktops than the laptop?

Hmm. good guess. Yes, normally. I'm sure I have used extensions form
the laptop too OK, but may not have tried direct-connection to xios.
(the programming has always been done down extension cables on
previous machines OK, so I kind of expected it to work...)

> It's also possible that the laptop has nice low-power drivers on its
> ports, slewing slower and causing less pain.

OK. I'll try a direct-connection and see if it helps at all.

> I detest LPT JTAG with a passion. However, it does sound like you ought to
> come round for a debug session.

That would be useful. I've just been peering at bflash to see why it
doesn't work on balloon2 - this reminds me that my JYTAG understanding
is weak at best.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/