RE: [Balloon] Re: toolchains for non-debian systems

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Wookey', 'Balloon'
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Re: toolchains for non-debian systems
>> OK I've downloaded this onto a Fedora Core 4 system (a little out of date
>> but functional). This does not appear to contain arm-linux[c++ gcc cpp
>> gccbug] ie all the useful stuff.

>You mean this machine didn't previously contain those things, or the
>tarball doesn't appear to contain them (it should).

This machine has a native tool chain, two arm tool chains this would be the
third arm tool chain.
The tarball doesn't contain them. (Try tar | grep cc)

>It is the latter. It should be unpacked at the top-level (so binaries
>end up in /usr/bin, libs and includes in /usr/arm-linux-gnu/ etc.

Luckily the tar was constructed at usr and not / so it was unwrapped into
/usr/local/arm/ which is where my arm dev stuff lives. It was then renamed
4.1 and symlinks inserted to point at stuff. (bin, lib, include) this stops
having to mess with the various build environments (e.g. X11Qt2 QT3Embedded
OPIEQ3 etc) each time you switch compiler version. Each build environment is
set up with a shell. This may be rather arcane but it has worked for me over
the past few years.

This is also the reason I'm a little nervous of using the .rpm s.

>If you do that, does it then work?

No 'cause the compiler isn't there... unless it is supposed to use the
native 4.1 that is in the machine already?

>Just put $(CROSS_COMPILE)$(CC) instead of arm-linux-gcc and it should
>DTRT in most cases.

Not the point, if I want to try different compiler version before and after
this change I now have to make this an option which is switched on compiler
version. I agree automake will fix this but only about 50% of my apps use
that.

>You can't have one compiler that does both old and new ABI (so far as
>I can tell). They are considered different architectures.

I beg to differ, they arn't different architectures.
They are the same arch just a different call structure.
Only the API has changed, the machine instructions are the same.
I just have a nagging feeling this could have been designed better...

>I haven't yet checked that you can have arm-linux-gnu- and
>arm-linux-gneabi- versions of the compiler installed at once and
>everything works properly but you can cetainly have arm-linux- and
>arm-linux-gnu- versions and that works OK.

Why are arm-linux-gcc and arm-linux-gnu-gcc different?