FW: [Balloon] toolchains for non-debian systems

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Balloon'
Subject: FW: [Balloon] toolchains for non-debian systems

I've now unwrapped the tarball which contains the gcc 4.1 compilers...

Installed it on my Fedora Core 4 system and all seems well. I've just
compiled a kernel *and* the modules (something that my gcc3.3.2 refused to
do, it broke in modpost).

It boots and runs so that's a significant step forward.
(Now I can try and work out why B3 CPLD boards can't make the CF slot
run....)

Just for info:

I'm using this in a sub tree (/usr/local/arm/4.1...) with symbolic links
switched to component parts (lib, bin, include) with a script so that I can
swap compiler versions with ease.
This is coupled with ARM specific shell variable sets.

I have had to create links in .../bin to gcc, g++ and ccp to get over the
fact that they have -4.1 as a post fix. (i.e. arm-linux-gnu-gcc ->
arm-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1) (This may be unnecessary, I haven't tried without).

Using "make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- " the kernel built without trouble.

The lack of application libraries in this tarball obviously means it's
limited to compiling kernels and modules.

But a good step in the right direction...

David.