RE: [Yaffs] Saving checkpoint on remount read-only

Author: Charles Manning
To: ian, yaffs
Subject: RE: [Yaffs] Saving checkpoint on remount read-only

Quite. Most fs just rely on the underlying block driver (also part of
the OS) and underlying disk controller(part of the hw) and shut their
eyes to any impure behaviour.

It is this mixing of fs + media control that makes a flash file system
different from a regular fs.

Another area where this sort of thing occurs is in caching. YAFFS caches
some writes (sort op cache) which is "poor form" for a fs. Convention is
that a fs should be immediately writing through to the block driver, so
yaffs is "wrong". However in most OS situations (eg. Linux) the block
driver does write-path caching for performance reasons so practically
there is little difference.

But, back to the main thread. It would be possible to make yaffs
strictly RO. As we move more and more towards 2 bits per cell and 4 bits
per cell we can expect the flash reliability to decrease. What should we
do if an ECC error is detected on read? (A) Wait until a write to fix
it, or (B) fix it ASAP. In a strict RO situation we will have no
opportunity to fix the problem and slowly watch as the storage degrades
until it becomes unrecoverable.

<snip>
> > Good one! Those were real computers! I really liked the VAX file
> > system model with recoverable file versioning.
>
> But that feature depended on whether you ran VMS, Ultrix or
> BSD on your VAX -- guess which two I ran; well yes I did use
> the other one too.

Running anything other than VMS on VAX is a bit like wearing open-toed
sandals with socks. It denies you the full experience!

-- Charles