Re: [Yaffs] problem mounting yaffs2 : No such device or addr…

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] problem mounting yaffs2 : No such device or address
On Thursday 22 March 2007 20:03, Vitaly Wool wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Charles Manning <> wrote:
> > Interesting... when YAFFS started off it used the same mechanisms as
> > JFFS2 to locate the mtd device.
> >
> > It looks like it is worth doing one of:
> > 1) Change YAFFS to use mtd handles the same way.
> > - or -
> > 2) Do something in Kconfig to prevent this sort of confusion.
> >
> > Suggestions? Patches?
>
> It's just a nodev thingie I guess...
> We can either make yaffs nodev or force it to depend on MTD_BLOCK.
> I personally don't see any sense in the latter as it's quite
> artificial. It's just mount routine that needs a block device or
> "nodev" to open, yaffs itself does NOT interact with MTD block layer,
> as well as JFFS2.

I'm a bit confused here....
Does mtd still make the /dev/mtdblockn entries even without MTD_BLOCK?

YAFFS only uses the block name to get the mtd structure so it should be pretty
easy to change to the the same mechanism as jffs2.

> The former option is a bit tricky but makes sense. However, I don't
> see a particular need to change anything here, other than for symmetry
> reasons :)

Well it something is not changed you end up with confusing scenarios (like the
head of this thread). IMHO, either way of fixing it is better than having it
dangling.