Re: [Yaffs] Problem with Yaffs on Routerboard RB112 and kern…

Author: ian@brightstareng.com
To: yaffs, David Goodenough
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Problem with Yaffs on Routerboard RB112 and kernel 2.6.19
On Monday 07 May 2007 06:36, David Goodenough wrote:
> I am currently trying to get a 2.6.19 kernel working on a
> Routerboard RB112 (and the rest of the 100 series).
>
> The RB112 (like the RB532) has a boot loader which loads an
> ELF file which comes from one of two places, it can be
> downloaded from a TFTP server (I have this working) or from
> the onboard NAND chip, the first 4MB of which are assumed to
> be a Yaffs partition containing a single file called kernel.

Seems to me that you need to know more about the NAND layering
used by the bootloader: What is the layout of the oob/spare
data? Which bytes are used for ECC (and what order), which bytes
are used to hold Yaffs' tags (and what order). Then you can
make linux mtd and yaffs work the same way. Unless Yaffs is
specifically licensed for inclusion in this bootloader, the
producer should be obligated to provided you with the complete
code (GPL).

-imcd