Re: [Yaffs] Problem with Yaffs on Routerboard RB112 and kern…

Author: Alexandros C Couloumbis
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Problem with Yaffs on Routerboard RB112 and kernel2.6.19
<ian <at> brightstareng.com> writes:

> On Monday 07 May 2007 06:36, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I am currently trying to get a 2.6.19 kernel working on a
> > Routerboard RB112 (and the rest of the 100 series).
> >
> > The RB112 (like the RB532) has a boot loader which loads an
> > ELF file which comes from one of two places, it can be
> > downloaded from a TFTP server (I have this working) or from
> > the onboard NAND chip, the first 4MB of which are assumed to
> > be a Yaffs partition containing a single file called kernel.
>
> Seems to me that you need to know more about the NAND layering
> used by the bootloader: What is the layout of the oob/spare
> data? Which bytes are used for ECC (and what order), which bytes
> are used to hold Yaffs' tags (and what order). Then you can
> make linux mtd and yaffs work the same way. Unless Yaffs is
> specifically licensed for inclusion in this bootloader, the
> producer should be obligated to provided you with the complete
> code (GPL).
>
> -imcd

here is some info about the nand that routerboards use:

There are 2 versions of the board. The latest version of the board has 128 meg
NAND memory instead of 64. You can tell this by looking at the chip or running:

"dmesg | grep NAND"

CHIP: HY27US08121M
DMESG: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0x76 (Hynix NAND 64MiB 3,3V
8-bit)

CHIP: HY27UF081G2M
DMESG: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Hynix NAND 128MiB 3,3V
8-bit)

Your sytem may show “Unknown” as the manufacturer. If you have a 128 meg chip
you need to have YAFFS2 support which only became available 3 days ago. You need
it because it supports the new devices that have larger page sizes.

The older 64 meg device had 512 byte pages with a 16 byte OOB area per page. The
new device has pages 4 times the size 2048b size - 64b OOB.