[Balloon] Ballon3 Status

+ (text/html)
Author: M. Haris Hashim
To: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Ballon3 Status
Hello there,

Just read the following document

http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/about/mdp_balloon_spec.pdf

and then the following wiki page

http://balloonboard.org/balloonwiki/Balloon3Status

So finally after all these years, Balloon3 is here. Two thing that I would
like to ask:

1. I cannot find Ethernet anywhere in the pdf spec. Appreciate it if someone
in the know can label the pictures To highlight which is what. Most
importantly on the connectors.

2. I really hope that balloon3 will be a commercial success and widely
available. So that the price will be cheap enough for someone like me. I am
wondering what is the cost / price now to get one of the board?

Commercial success & pricing can be chicken and egg situation. If it is
expensive, it will not have a good start, cannot be mass produced and is not
going to be cheap sooner. And so the cycle continue. Much like the original
balloon board.

So here is my 2 cents ... perhaps we can brainstorm a little bit on how to
improve this condition.

My suggestion, which is my third point:

3. We should drive demand for Balloon3 board by having initial or flagship
product that target either the hobbyist or commercial people. Maybe some
kind of affordable DIY home security and automation product. Complete with
assemble yourself kit.

Perhaps something that people can collaborate in international level.
Otherwise it is hard to get it mass produced.

Cheers!
Haris