Re: [Yaffs] nandwrite problem

Author: Ian McDonnell
To: r93072
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] nandwrite problem
On Friday 07 September 2007 03:59, r93072 wrote:
>    There is a problem when I use "nandwrite" to write yaffs2
> root file system into nand flash.  Here is my procedure :
>        1. Use mkyaffs2image to make yaffs2 image
>             ./mkyaffs2image  ../build/fs/ rootfs.bin

>        2. Erase nand flash & write image
>             flash_eraseall   /dev/mtd3
>             nandwrite -a -p /dev/mtd3   /mnt/rootfs.bin

>        3. Mount nand flash to check
>            mount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblock3 /tmp

Use of mkyaffs2image and MTD's nandwrite does not work without
modification. See the helpful posts from other users on the list
over the past few weeks. The process of building Yaffs NAND
images off-platform is not well supported by the set of
utilities (neither Yaffs nor MTD). You have to get involved with
some of the NAND layout and image file format details.

There are several quite different use cases, with bootloaders,
NAND programming devices, linux MTD and more. The current set of
utility programs (like mkyaffs2image) only do part of the work
needed. Anyone serious about needing this to work is welcome to
contribute better utilities, both Yaffs and/or MTD.

[I have idea's for new tools, but I don't have a need for them at
this time. If someone wants to write some, I'd be happy to pass
on my thoughts.]